With one of Europe’s most pleasant climates
Less than 2 hours south of Valencia, along Costa Blanca, you´ll find the sunny and funny city of Alicante. From the Castle of Santa Bárbara at the height of "Mount Benacatil" you have a great view as the city spreads out below with its harbour and beach as important landmarks. From during the summer months being a tourist Mecca other seasons offers a more genuine less crowded Alicante but with the same pleasant climate. Beach and maritime activities are practised from early March to late October but also even on particularly sunny and clear winters days.
In Alicante there is an older part of town with winding, charmeuse and confusing streets perfect for getting lost and discovering. If you on the other hand want to be sure to navigate right, the long, broad and airy boardwalk will guide you. The Boulevard "Explanada de España" with its 400 palm trees and impressing patterns of black, white and red pavers is highly recommended for an evening stroll taking in the street life. Another tradition well worth embracing is on a Saturday, pay a visit to one of the many food markets, "Mercandillos", all over the city. Here the locals since early morning eats, drinks and socialise in a festive manner and bustling atmosphere.
Not far from Alicante along the coast there are minor cities and villages well worth a visit. Just to mention a few: picturesque Denia, upgraded Benidorm with its high buildings and cosy Altea. Inland you´ll also find the prominent wine areas D.O. Alicante & D.O. Valencia.
Discover the maritime Alicante with SpainConnect!!
- More than 300 00 inhabitants
- 15 % of the population originates from another country
- Have a university with more then 30 000 students
- Costa Blanca means the White coast
- Introduced as a promotional name in 1950: s by British Airways
- 115 000 tons of rice produced early
- Highest measured temperature 41,1° C
- The Pirate Island of Tabarca lays 10 km away
- The Castle Santa Barbara dates back to 400 years BC
- Here is a big Paintball park that´s open 365 days a year
- Explanada de España consist of over 6,6 million pavers