The old new trendy classic
The Balearic island of Mallorca has since the start been famous for charter and mass tourism. Still visitors flock to the island but now a smaller percentage of those tourists are the "traditional" charter tourist. The island has gone through a regeneration and now hosts luxury beach-resorts, modern conference facilities for all kinds of needs, first class restaurants & venues and spectacular golf courses. The capital Palma de Mallorca is reborn, a trendy and pleasant city that offers that extra spark.
Beach and water activities are important elements on the Island. A boat trip or a nice day at the beach tempts. What’s forgotten sometimes is that the Island is virtually surrounded by real paradise beaches. On the other hand, small charming villages in the mountains are also there to be discovered. Two wine districts and local cheese producers tempts the one occupied by gastronomy. A typical Majorcan lunch is enjoyed over time and is in itself a social happening. An advice then is to therefore set aside plenty of time for this event.
Palma is a real city with a lot of culture and everything that belongs to a city life. To mention a few sites of interest: the majestic Cathedral in the quarters around the old city, the castle at the peak Bellver with its magnificent panorama view, the interior wise beautiful "Teatro Principal" and the museum for modern and contemporary art "Es Baluard". The obvious reference of the city and hot-spot is still though the wide stretched boardwalk with all its charming marinas.
Discover or re-discover Mallorca with SpainConnect!!
- The Island have been inhabited since 7000 years BC
- Year 122 BC Mallorca was incorporated by the Roman empire
- The construction of the Cathedral was initiated year 1230
- Gaudi was acquainted to restoration of the Cathedral
- Mallorca is the biggest of the Spanish Islands
- Visit the spectacular caves ”Coves del Drach"
- "Puig Major" is the highest peak on the island with its 1445 metres
- Approx. 860 000 people lives at Mallorca
- Whereas 430 000 lives in Palma de Mallorca
- Has around 300 days of sun per year
- First charter airplane landed on the Island in the year of 1950
- Scandinavians ranks with margin 4th in terms of visitors / year
- Mallorca is a popular spot for cyclists
- “Sobrasada” is tasteful sausage typical for Mallorca
- The tennis player Rafael Nadal is from Mallorca